DISCLAIMER

This blog is not an official Department of State website, and the views and information presented here are our own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Akwaaba, Fufu, & Anka! Me Pe Paaa

-->
Friday 5/31 –
Today was my first full day in Ghana.  I was awoken this morning at around 7:20 by a phone call.  “Hello Good Morning – Masa Robert, breakfast, it is ready”  There are always constants here.  Breakfast is always: Tea or “Milo” (like a hot chocolate), egg, and bread.  Everywhere in the country – it’s always the same.  I’m proud of my culinary skills I developed last time, tapping sugar over the toast to have some variety with the egg sandwich I eat.
            The goals for today were simple: Phone and Money.  I walked across the Amamsama road that leads to Kumasi and continued down for about a mile to meet my friend, Frank, who sells phones.  He remembered me from my last visit!  I wanted to get a jail broken iPhone 3GS to work here, but it wouldn’t recognize the network.  So, I settled for buying a sim card and walking down the street for a dinky cell phone  John, a roadside salesman, was the one I was supposed to see.  I approached a phone seller by the road, but was almost immediately interrupted by a man waving his arms.  Frank had called John to give him a heads up that I would be coming.  I recognized the Twi words…”Brofu (English)…Obruni (white guy),” and so John recognized me!  He sold me a “Tecno” phone, new with a charger for 50 Ghana Cidis (about $25) and then I took a cab down to Pokuase.  Here, the foreign exchange “4X” had a decent rate of $1USD:1.96 Ghana Cidi, so almost 1:2!  Much better than my previous visits of 1.56 and 1.46.  


            I made it back to the Joy family lodge and had my first Ghanaian meal: Fufu in light soup with “Proper” meat – Goat!  And it was delicious. 

I retired for the afternoon to write a few letters.
            I’m quite happy to have been ambitious enough to head here by myself.  Man, I wish I had some friends to share the experience with, however.  I’m also frightened to head into Accra all by myself; it's a busy, crazy city where I’m a total target for pickpocketers and heckling.  I’ll leave that for tomorrow I think.  It will be very nice to see Keith; it’s just under 3 weeks until I see some fellow Obrunis!  Ah, and I just received a text from the family – Blood work came back and I have strep throat!  Saaaaa! Might just need to have my tonsils removed when I head back to the states.  Sounds good to me.  Antibiotics for now.  A successful day -  Money in my pocket, a working cell phone, Fufu, and a few “Anka” (oranges) for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment