DISCLAIMER

This blog is not an official Department of State website, and the views and information presented here are our own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Kente and Chucks - 'Nicewaaaa!'

Saturday, July 6, 13
            Today marked my last day in Koforidua before I head back to Accra, and I made the most of it.   After two cups of Nescafé tea and soggy sugarbread, I chartered a taxi to K’Dua station to arrange a trotro to take a few students to Akaa falls.  Two stayed behind; almost everyone besides me has fallen ill the last few weeks.  After getting light at Asiafo Amanfo junction, we took an hours walk up Asiafo Mountain to the primary school.  Although last time I made it here, the yard was filled with students Paaa, today was Saturday, and no one was around.  Indeed in the village I only saw 4 people!
            We hiked to an unusual geological formation known as Umbrella Rock for pictures and for a rest.  I had wanted to come to the mountain top community to interview people about rural water use and waste disposal; despite a deserted town I had a clear answer.  The pathways all around Umbrella Rock and the village were thick with used sachets, bottles, and plastic bags.  I found two dustbins, but they appeared seldom used, and the community trash burn pile was small.  Kakra Kakra.

            We hiked back down and continued down the mountain to Akaa falls for a quick “swim break,” then headed back to the roadside looking for a car.  Last time I visited Akaa falls, we waited a good half hour for a vehicle to catch, and when one finally stopped, we had to sit on bags of cassava and plantains.  After about ten minutes, I started to walk down the road, and continued on for some time.  Far down the road, I spotted a large green snake on the road.  It had been hit, which was lucky for us.  Matching it to the description on the internet, it was a very poisonous green mamba!





            Finally some car came; a full taxi.  Saaa!  However, when I hailed it down, it stopped, and all 5 passengers exited.  I talked to the driver, greeted him, and asked to go to Koforidua.  He looked at me, opened the boot, and had 4/5 passengers sit in the trunk!  Meanwhile, I shared a seat with big Dave, my upper thigh riding the gear shifter and rear end on the parking break.  Dave jokingly warned not to fart; I might cause an abrupt down shift! 
            Sandwiched in there, we made it to Accra for $1 per person.  After lunch I roamed the city and went to my friend Kwamdadato pick up a special order.  Two days ago, I had scoured the streets seeking a pair of chuck tailors and low tops to decorate.  I’m getting pretty good at my Twi and bargaining skills, and reduced the price of two pairs of shoes from 100 Cidis to 35 for two pairs ($17 American).  On a roll, I strolled the marked, charming market mammas and tailors looking for free kente and fabric scraps.  I even secured a friendly businessman to take me to a shoemakers where I met Kwamdada (Kwame and Daddy squished together).  Here, he took the Kente and cloth and fashioned some KILLER shoes.  


 One for me and one for Keith, a thanks for letting me accompany him on my research.  Now, I begin to pack for the 2ndto last time here in country.  Me ko London ochena miensa, me pe paaa!  Ko Bokoo

No comments:

Post a Comment