DISCLAIMER

This blog is not an official Department of State website, and the views and information presented here are our own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Monday, July 8, 2013

Me Hunu Wu, Ghana!

-->
Monday, July 8, 13
            Me Ko Ochena.  Tomorrow I leave Africa, having been here since May. 

            Months ago, I received an email while at Pitzer.  It read like the fifty before and fifty after it that I received that day and every other day – “Apply for an incredible fellowship…Research what you please!”  It was an Environmental Analysis focused grant from Andrew Mellon administered through Harvey Mudd College.  I asked around, talked to students who had received Mellon grants before, to professors who had advised applicants, and figured I might as well apply while waiting for internship notifications to trickle in. 
            With less than two weeks before the deadline, I first had to decide what I wanted to research, where to go, ect.  Supposedly, domestic research was more common, although international research was recommended.  Of course, if I were to apply, I might as well shoot high.  I could research the rise of Ecotourism in Eco-Lodges in Ecuador, having a relationship with Cabañas Alanaui along the Napo River, deep within the Ecuadorian Rainforest.  However, I’ve been there four times before, and the rainforest is a difficult place to navigate without a private vehicle (very little public transportation).  Instead, I decided to apply to live in Ghana.  It was funny; I chose where I wanted to live instead of what I wanted to research. 
            Four months later I was squeezing my first Ankaa on the Amasaman roadside waiting for a Trotro to Accra.  Every time I think about how I managed to move across the world by myself, I shake my head and grin.
            I’ve said it many times before; Ghana is one of the most incredible places in the world.  Like many of my peers, I’m always on the search for the balance of money, fun, and experiences that will shape who I am and will become.  I’ve tested the waters here before, but this time I’m certain that it’s no fluke; Ghana’s a place I hope to keep with me and visit for the rest of my life.  I’ve been quite lucky to have had such an incredible, successful, rich adventure.
            But it’s not over yet.  Although I’ll be back in Claremont in less than a month helping lead Resident Assistant training, in between I’ll be living in London; house sitting a downtown apartment for a family of five while they’re vacationing in the states.  I have to write up my report during the next three weeks, but in between I plan to travel to Spain, Scotland, and Iceland with my good friend and former roommate Bryan.  Although I don’t plan to update this blog at a daily frequency, I do hope to journal in it and upload photos as I’ve been doing in Ghana (as long as there’s free internet).  Oh boy, it’ll be tough going from living on $40 a day – housing, 3 meals, snacks, and transportation included – to paying $10 for a pint of Guinness.  Saaa!
            I suppose this sort of experience is supposed to have a profound impact; a 21 year-old carving out a trip in Ghana, flying solo for most of it, learning a new language and adapting to new norms.  I don't feel like a different person.  Instead, I view this sort of experience as a morals-refresher; something that puts life and priorities in perspective.  Ghanaians don’t have sanitation, punctuality, or wealth in order – yet I’d be willing to bet they score higher on a “happiness” index over America any day.  Ghanaians embrace life as it comes – unpredictable, impossible to fully dominate and master, and easygoing.  They live for the same needs as anywhere else – food, shelter, family, friends, and money – but prioritize the list in a much healthier order than we do in America.  I’d trade a life of stress, deadlines and scrutiny for the simple, human-connection based life in Ghana any day.  
Wearing Kente Cloth from Kumasi with my friend James

            Me fre ye Kweku.  Me Fri U.S.  Me di Fufu ni tilapia.  Me pe Ghana, me hunu wu!

No comments:

Post a Comment