DISCLAIMER

This blog is not an official Department of State website, and the views and information presented here are our own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

One thing at a time

July 4th, 2013
            Well happy 4th of July, Americans!  Alike the fourth of July I spend here back in 2011 and 2009, the only indication that it’s a national holiday in America would be the facebook updates and occasional mini-American flag hanging on the windshields of trotros.  


            Last night, I had a surprisingly sound night’s sleep despite the nearly rock-hard mattress and decrepit fan.  After a hearty breakfast, I went to work on a paper on bell hooks Feminist Theory, and capped 2000 words before heading our for lunch in town.  The hotel I’m staying in is a few miles outside Koforidua, and there isn’t much cheap public transport like you’d find in Kumasi or Accra.  I began to walk, trying to flag down any taxi I saw.  After 20 minutes in the hot sun, one pulled over with room for one more; the charge was 60 Pesewas regardless of where one boarded, all the way into town. 
            After a filling lunch of fried rice, I spent a few hours looking for interviews, water plants, and gifts.  To my surprise, I was turned down time after time for an interview, and had an unfruitful search for water plants.  Saaa!  I managed to secure a gift for an old friend, as well as a plastic bag.  Now, this “plastic bag” is a staple for travelers here and is no ordinary bag; it measures 12”x24”x36”, and is formed from thick, nearly soda-bottle caliber plastic; perfect for transporting goods. 
            After returning from town, I wrote another four pages on my feminism essay, then retired to the open area to read a new book: The Meaning of Marital Equality by Scott R. Harris.  However, six pages in, a proper storm came and forced me to retire to my room.  Although today was unproductive in terms or research, it was another typically Ghanaian day; one where I set out to do a few things, some didn’t pan out, and I’ll just plan for tomorrow.  This is how the country works; everyone tries to accomplish something every day, and if it doesn’t pan out, there’s always tomorrow.  It’s  one of the most powerful aspects I miss when I’m back home: simplicity coupled with acceptance of reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment