DISCLAIMER

This blog is not an official Department of State website, and the views and information presented here are our own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Out in a Hurry!

-->
Saturday, June 29, 13
            Today started far too early for me.  Tossing and turning in my room in the Justice Hotel in Kumasi at 3 AM, I heard an incredibly loud bang.  Gunshot.  I was fully conscious. CRACK – Another gunshot.  Then yelling.  I began planning how I would exit this hotel or how I could hide when the gunman entered my room.  Late last night, I had a long conversation with a taxi driver about a series of armed robberies that had taken place over the last three weeks here in Kumasi, with a total of three people killed and no suspects / descriptions.  Two men gathered outside of my room and began talking in hushed voices.  I quietly but quickly turned off my fan and crept into the bathroom.  They were talking in Twi and I couldn’t understand their conversation.  The minutes passed slowly – I peeked behind the curtains, but couldn't see anything.  After around five minutes, the two men left, and I decided it would be safer to spend the night in bed and try to forget about the gunshots.  I sent a text to Keith who also was in the Justice warning him incase he hadn’t heard.  He replied “I heard. Yikes.”
            I awoke and packed some few sleepless hours later, took some breakfast, then headed to the Cape Cost lorry park.  After negotiating a price, we hopped in and headed down south to Cape Cost.  The ride was a quick 5 hours, and we only made one stop on the side of the road.
 


 At the Cape Coast lorry park, I got directions to the Sammo Hotel where we’d stay at “tomorrow next,” and Keith and I made our way there before arriving at Hans Boatel.


            Hans Boatel is a bizarre amalgamation of “floating” buildings on a murky lake.  It’s surrounded by thousands of yellow warbler nests and these white ones that supposedly raid the nests looking for eggs. 
            Down in the lake, several crocodiles lazily circle the restaurant area and, if you’re lucky, will pose for a photograph.  In addition, there’s a pool and a few rundown sports facilities.  It would fail all American regulatory codes, but for Ghana, it's a luxurious resort that I really enjoy – all for about 17$ a night! 
            I’ve nearly given up on interviews through July 3rd – it’s Republic Day (like our 4th of July) weekend, followed by the celebration of the chiefs festival, Buketuae.  Tomorrow I’ll do some schoolwork and head out to Kakum National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment