DISCLAIMER

This blog is not an official Department of State website, and the views and information presented here are our own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Republic Day!


Monday, July 1, 13
            July first in Ghana marks the anniversary of the signing of the first Constitution – as should be the case, Ghanaians have consecrated the first of July as “Republic Day” and throw festivities nation wide.  We spent the first half of the day back at Hans Botel.  I was able to take a good breakfast, read a bit, and took some pictures before we had our lunch and headed to Cape Coast. 
            In Cape Coast, we’ve picket the “Sammo Hotel” to stay in, a record low rate of 12 Cidis a night ($6).  After checking in, I headed out with a few students to visit Cape Coast Castle, a slave castle here which dates back to 1485 making it the oldest European Building in Africa.  As usual, the tour was powerful, sobering, and had an unusual twist.  Whereas in America, we hold the whites responsible for slavery, here in Ghana, they blame themselves; it was the African traders who captured and sold their brothers and sisters for manufactured goods. Our tour guide ended the tour making sure to acknowledge that as a whole, the slave trade was a human tragedy, but firmly asserted that the people of Africa should acknowledge and make sure to never repeat the mistake of commodifying their own people, not really mentioning anything to make the whites on the tour uncomfortable.


            I spent the afternoon exploring Republic Day festivities.  At one point, I wanted to get into the Oasis, the center of the party here in Cape Coast.  I tried to get in, but it turned out I had to pay some 5 Cidis.  I declined, but begged to be let in.  One guard let me in, but another turned me away.  Devastated but not yet given up, I headed around back to the beach entrance.  Saaa, there were guards armed with billy clubs here too.  A small girl asked for me to bring her in, but I told her that I refused to pay.  She seemed perplexed, and asked for my stamp.  I explained that one had to pay to get in and get a stamp.  She held up my arm, and behold, my elbow had some purple ink on it; someone who had held my arm must have rubbed off on me. I decided I’d try to make my way in.  Each guard looked at me and asked another, but eventually I made it inside! 




 Of course there was mayhem; people standing on chairs, speakers far too close to dancers, sure to cause ear damage, but I had my fun.  Tomorrow holds the even larger party, Buketuae!

No comments:

Post a Comment