DISCLAIMER

This blog is not an official Department of State website, and the views and information presented here are our own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the Department of State.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Me ko bra, Accra!


Sunday, July 7, 13
            Today was my last travel day before the big trip out of Africa.  I’m becoming more confident in my Twi each day – I was able to explain that I wanted coffee with cream and sugar, loved butter bread, but no eggs.  After that, I joked around when Rita asked why I didn’t take her to the falls, and also explained I was leaving today.  It’s complicated when you hear it, for example, here’s one set to order food: Ma achi, Aura, Ete sen? Me Pa Wa Chow, ma me pano mianue ni blue band.  Me pe pano paa, so, men pe mkosua pa pa pa; Man me.  Meda Ase. 
            I took my coffee out in the middle of the garden and soaked in the morning tranquility.  It was nice paa.
            After packing and taking a taxi to the Trotro station, I tried out my Twi again and managed to get a good price for a lorry that would let us be light at Fise junction for 5 Cidis.  Not the Obruni price.  The ride was similar to the route into Koforidua; full of toll aversion via back roads and dusty pathways.  We arrived back “home” at the Joy Family Lodge, and I was thrilled to see Frank and the guard, Brian.  We took a trotro into town, had fufu, and found another lorry back up to Amasaman.  I decided to stay the full route when the rest of the group left and explore Amasaman.  I purchased some juice and memory for my Tecno phone.

            While walking, I spotted an elderly woman “picking” the empty sachets.  I approached her with my begging gesture, lightly slapping one hand upside down into my palm, asking in Twi about her work.  She couldn’t understand a word I said, which was typical of pickers.  I gave her some money and asked if she’d pose for some photos, which she did.  She was thrilled, and “Ssst’d” a Ghanaian over to serve as a translator for me.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t really get any concrete information, but was thrilled to have had some quality photos of one of Ghana’s most important resources.

            On my troto back, I became rather wistful.  With anticipation of leaving tomorrow next, I thought of how wonderful it’s been to be accepted as I am here.  It’s one thing to meet a stranger, hit it off, and make a friend; it’s far different to get along with literally everyone.  Ghanaians have a collective goodwill in them that I’ve seen nowhere else; not home, Europe, or South America.  Strangers will invite you not just to join them for lunch, but to eat their lunch with them.  When you drop a coin, six people point to where it fell or pick it up and hand it to you.  When you ask for directions, you won’t just be told where to go; they’ll hold your hand and walk you to where you need to go.  Tell me another place where this is the norm, not an exception.  Or don’t; my mind may be made up that this is the friendliest place on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment